It can be overwhelming when you read articles or statistics about human trafficking saying that there are between 21 million and 45 million people enslaved around the world or see how trafficking make over $150 billion each year. It seems daunting.
However, there are things everyone can do right now to help.
1. Put the National Trafficking Hotline in your phone. Call if you have any suspicions that anyone is being enslaved (learn the signs here) 1-888-373-7888
2. Find out how many slaves are working for you based on the products you buy: slaveryfootprint.org
3. Did you know coffee beans and chocolate are one of the leading products harvested by slaves? A Fair Trade label ensures a slave-free product. Download this Slave Free Buying Guide from End Slavery Now to learn about Fair Trade.
4. Discover how others are fighting slavery around the world and be inspired tipheroes.org
5. Watch the documentary I am Jane Doe (available on Netflix) it follows real cases of American girls enslaved in the child sex trade through ads in a newspaper's online classified section.
6. Take action by calling Congress to strengthen policies and practices to get us one step closer to ending modern slavery polarisproject.org/action
Lastly, by supporting organizations (like SNF!) by purchasing products made by survivors you are making a huge impact by giving them a fair wage. The next time you need to purchase a gift or just want something special for yourself please check out To The Market a curated marketplace where everything is made by survivors. Together we can make a difference!